The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) invites applications for ten PhD positions for early-stage researchers. International applicants can apply for these scholarships.
BIGSSS is an international Social Science inter-university graduate school, located at the University of Bremen and Jacobs University Bremen, Germany.
BIGSSS-departs provides close supervision of dissertation work in a demand-tailored education and research environment. It supports doctoral fellows in achieving early scientific independence and provides funds for conducting, presenting, and publishing their research.
Candidates with strong academic abilities and a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in political science, sociology, or psychology.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Successful applicants will pursue a topic in one of BIGSSS’ research areas that are organized in three thematic fields:
- Global Governance and Regional Integration
- Welfare State, Inequality, and Quality of Life
- Changing Lives in Changing Socio-Cultural Contexts
Scholarship Award: The salary includes social insurance and health insurance with a monthly income of €2250 (before deductions). Funds for additional research costs such as travel, conference participation, in-house events, and outreach events will be available. Fellows commit themselves to their own dissertation projects and the full academic program of the BIGSSS curriculum. Additionally, BIGSSS encourages all accepted fellows to dynamically integrate with research activities at various Bremen Social Science institutes.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
- For the program starting in February 2017, we seek candidates with strong academic abilities and a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in political science, sociology, or psychology.
- Potential candidates with a degree in related social science disciplines are also welcome. Applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree. All accepted researchers are asked to move to Bremen for the program as a presence at the institution is required.
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the date of their application. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- All nationalities are welcome to apply. BIGSSS strives to increase the share of women in the university and hence also strongly encourages women to apply. Disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in case of otherwise equal qualification.
Nationality: International applicants can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Candidates with strong academic abilities and a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in political science, sociology, or psychology.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: Applicants have to include a “Statement of Fit” between their dissertation proposal and faculty members they have identified as potential supervisors. Applicants are requested not to contact faculty members directly but to consult the BIGSSS-departs admissions website for a list of recent research areas and supervisors, as well as detailed guidelines for research proposals.Applications must be submitted online.
Application Deadline: The call is open until September 15, 2016.