LILONGWE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES;
CALL FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS ADMISSION FOR 2016/2017 ACADEMIC YEAR
Africa Centre of Excellence in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (AquaFish)
World Bank (WB) has embarked on a project which is called Africa Centre of Excellence (ACE II) whose aim is to strengthen selected Eastern and Southern Africa higher education institutions to deliver quality postgraduate education and build collaborative research capacity in the regional priority areas clustered as follows: Industry, Agriculture, Health, Education and Applied Statistics. Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) in Malawi, is hosting the Africa Centre of Excellence in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (AquaFish) whose main objective is “to foster innovation and entrepreneurship in the production of high skilled fit-for-purpose critical mass of agricultural scientists for improved aquaculture and fisheries management in order to enhance food, nutrition and economic security in Eastern and Southern Africa”. Specifically, the AquaFish intends to achieve the following, a) train critical mass of MSc and PhD graduates who are competent to create innovations that will revolutionize the aquaculture and fisheries sector in Africa, b) enhance capacity of the center of excellence to attract national and regional students and train world class scientists that are relevant to industrial and developmental needs in the aquaculture and fisheries sector in Africa, and c) Improve innovations/technologies for increasing fish production, value addition and marketing, through partnerships. The centre will employ innovative, entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary approaches to training, research and outreach on production, value addition and fisheries management, through strategic partnerships. AquaFish Centre builds on LUANAR’s track record of serving as a regional training centre in aquaculture and fisheries science for Africa, as evidenced by hosting the AU-Aquaculture Working Group, NEPAD SanBio Fish Node, Afri-fish Net. AquaFish intends to undertake the project holistically by looking at the whole Fish value chain, hence a multidisciplinary approach. 2
LUANAR, through AquaFish Centre, is therefore inviting applications from interested and qualified persons for admission into the following 2016/2017 academic year postgraduate programs:
- PhD in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science.
- PhD in Agricultural and Resource Economics
- MSc in Aquaculture.
- MSc in Fisheries.
- MSc in Agricultural and Applied Economics
- MSc in Agribusiness Management
- MSc in Food Science and Technology
- MSc in Rural Development and Extension
Candidates for Masters programs must have a Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field from a recognized training institution with a credit pass/cGPA of at least 3.00 or equivalent. Candidates with a mere pass/cGPA of not less than 2.60 or equivalent but with vast relevant work experience may also be considered. All programs are for a period of 2 years.
Those applying for PhD program must have a relevant Master’s degree from a recognized training institution. The PhD programs are for a period of 3 – 4 years.
NOTE: All applications must include:
- a Duly completed application form PGDMP-2016/2017 which can be obtained from the LUANAR website;
- copies of all relevant certificates and academic transcripts which are being used for the application. These must be duly certified by a Commissioner of Oaths as true copies of the originals.
- reference letters from persons who are best qualified to evaluate the applicant’s academic and/ or professional ability to succeed in graduate study: Masters applicants should submit two academic references. Candidates with relevant work experience can alternatively submit one academic reference and one professional reference; PhD applicants should submit two academic references and one professional reference.
- 1-page research interest concept note – for PhD applicants only.
- curriculum vitae (CV) with names and contact details of three traceable referees.
- source of funding i.e. official scholarship award/sponsorship letter.
- proof of payment of an appropriate application fee bearing the name of the applicant and the amount of application fee paid.
- proof of English Language proficiency for international applicants whose first language is not English.
Full fee structure can be accessed through the University Registrar’s office.
Send your applications to:
The University Registrar
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Bunda Campus, P. O. Box 219
Email: email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receiving applications is 17th September 2016.