The Department of Social Anthropology invites candidates to apply for 2 Ph.D. Research Fellowships, with starting date in January 2017. This is awarded to Norwegian and foreign applicants.
University offers a number of general and subject-specific funding schemes. The aim of the fellowship is to attract the best and most motivated people to Norway.
The University of Oslo is the oldest, largest and most prestigious university in Norway, located in the Norwegian capital of Oslo. UiO attracts students and researchers from all over the world.
A good command of English is required for all students attending the University of Oslo. International students; Ph.D. research fellows and postdoctoral research fellows who are not native speakers of English must document their proficiency in English.
Course Level: Fellowship is provided for Ph.D. programme.
Study Subject: Fellowship is tenable in social anthropology at the University of Oslo.
Scholarship Award: Fellowship will compromise:
- Pay grade 50 – 57 (NOK 430 500 – 483 700 per annum)
- Academically stimulating working environment
- Good pension benefits under the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund scheme
- Good welfare benefits
Scholarship can be taken in Norway
- Applicants must have at least five years higher education including a two-year research-based master’s degree (or equivalent) in social anthropology. The successful candidates must participate in the research training organised by the Faculty of Social Sciences (the Ph.D. programme) and undertake research that will lead to the award of a Ph.D. in social anthropology. Applicants are referred to the Guidelines for appointment as a Ph.D. candidate at a university or university college. The candidates who are offered the Ph.D. positions will automatically be accepted for the Ph.D. programme.
- Applicants must have good spoken and written command of a Scandinavian language and/or English.
- Applicants must provide a detailed project description outlining the work to be undertaken for their proposed project (recommended total length, including the list of references: 7-10 pages; 10 pages is an absolute maximum). The project description must include the theme of the project, issues to be examined, the chosen theoretical and methodological approach and a progress plan. The successful candidates are expected to complete their projects before the expiry of the Ph.D. position.
Nationality: Norwegian and foreign applicants can apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have at least five years higher education including a two-year research-based master’s degree (or equivalent) in social anthropology.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: A good command of English is required for all students attending the University of Oslo. International students; Ph.D. research fellows and post-doctoral research fellows who are not native speakers of English, must document their proficiency in English by taking one of the following internationally recognised tests
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
- IELTS – International English Language Testing Service
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) from the University of Cambridge
- Applicants to the programme for the Ph.D. degree in Science must obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based) on the TOEFL test or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS (academic) test. The same applies to applicants for postdoctoral research fellow positions.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. The application must include:
- Application letter
- Project description for the work to be undertaken during the course of the term of appointment, including the theme of the project, issues to be examined, the chosen theoretical and methodological approach and a progress plan (recommended total length, including list of references: 7-10 pages; 10 pages is an absolute maximum)
- CV (complete list of education including grades, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities)
- A complete list of publications
- Names and contact details of 3 persons for references
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 30 September 2016.