Position as PhD Research fellow available at the Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics. Norwegian and foreign applicants can apply for this fellowship.
University offers a number of general and subject-specific funding schemes. The aim of the fellowship is to attract the best and most motivated people to Norway.
The University of Oslo is the oldest, largest and most prestigious university in Norway, located in the Norwegian capital of Oslo. UiO attracts students and researchers from all over the world.
Applicants must hold (or soon hold) a Master’s of Science degree or equivalent in astrophysics, astronomy or space sciences or a related discipline.
Course Level: Fellowship is provided for pursuing the PhD programme.
Study Subject: Fellowship is tenable in Astrophysics at the University of Oslo in Norway.
Scholarship Award: Position code 1017, Salary: NOK 432 700 – 489 300 per year ( pay grade 50 – 57), depending on qualifications and seniority.
Scholarship can be taken in Norway
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold (or soon hold) a Master’s of Science degree or equivalent in astrophysics, astronomy or space sciences or a related discipline. Candidates without a Master’s degree have to complete the final exam by June 30th, 2017.
- They seek a candidate with a background preferably in solar / stellar physics or radio astronomy. Experience with 2D/3D numerical simulations and/or the analysis of observations incl. the handling of large data sets is advantageous. Programming skills and experience with CASA, Python, IDL and/or C++ are considered an asset.
- The candidate must be highly self-driven and able to take responsibility for her/his own work, including troubleshooting and acquiring additional skills required to reach the project goals while collaborating with the team.
- The purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree.
- The fellowship requires admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The application to the PhD programme must be submitted to the department no later than two months after taking up the position.
Nationality: Norwegian and foreign applicants can apply for this fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must hold (or soon hold) a Master’s of Science degree or equivalent in astrophysics, astronomy or space sciences or a related discipline.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: A good command of English is required for all students attending the University of Oslo. International students; PhD research fellows and post-doctoral research fellows who are not native speakers of English, must document their proficiency in English by taking one of the following internationally recognised tests
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
- IELTS – International English Language Testing Service
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) from the University of Cambridge
- Applicants to the programme for the PhD degree in Science must obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based) on the TOEFL test or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS (academic) test. The same applies to applicants for postdoctoral research fellow positions.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. The application must include:
- Application letter
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- Complete list of publications and academic work and up to five high-lighted publications that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number) who have been asked to send reference letters.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 31st January 2017.