Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is pleased to announce research paper competition for undergraduates and graduate students, and invite submissions from students and recent graduates at member institutions. The purpose of the competition is to highlight exemplary research papers based on quantitative analysis. The awards are $1,000 for first place and $750 for second place in each category and publication on the ICPSR Research Paper Competition Winners website and in a special edition of the ICPSR Bulletin for the first place winners.
For papers on any topic using data from the ICPSR General Archive or Thematic Collections. There are separate undergraduate and master’s prizes for this competition.
- Entrants must be current master’s or undergraduate students, or recent graduates who graduated on or after April 1, 2015. (students who graduated before April 1, 2016, are not eligible.)
- Entrants must be from ICPSR member institutions.
- Entrants may be from the US or outside the US.
Entry Requirements — ICPSR Competitions
All entries must meet the following criteria:
- Author Status: Must be an undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduate (graduated on or after April 1, 2016).
- Coauthorship: Papers written by more than one student are permitted. Coauthored or multiple-authored winners will share the specified monetary awards.
- Single Submission: Only one paper entered by the author, whether as sole author or as a co-author.
- Single Category: Only one competition category may be entered by an author.
- Student Authorship: Papers coauthored with faculty are not eligible. Only student-authored papers are eligible.
- Originality: Each paper must be an original analysis and must be the author’s own work. Papers previously published are not eligible.
- ICPSR Data: Each paper must analyze data held in the ICPSR archive or one of the Thematic Collections. (Students may use a dataset accessed from another source if ICPSR also holds a copy of the same dataset.)
- Work Product: Papers submitted must be the product of work toward completion of an undergraduate or master’s degree.
- Preparation: Paper adheres to preparation requirements (see below).
- Entry Form: Entry form is completed and submitted (see below).
- Deadline: All papers and corresponding entry forms must be received by midnight Pacific Standard Time, January 31, 2017.
Paper Preparation Requirements
The paper must be written in English and follow these requirements:
A paper should be no longer than 20 pages for undergraduate entries, and no longer than 30 pages for graduate student’s entries. Page limits include all charts/graphs, references, and any appendices.
Appearance and Format
- Font should be Times New Roman — point size 12
- Margins of 1 inch (2.5 cm) all around
- Double spaced
- Papers must be submitted in MSWord (DOC or DOCX) or Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
Papers must be submitted electronically along with the proper Entry/Publication Release Form for the entered competition. They must be sent to the correct email address, as indicated in this section. A complete entry includes the research paper and the appropriate Entry and Publication Release Form in the same, single email.
|Competition Name||Entry Form||Send to Email Address|
|ICPSR Research Paper Competition – Undergraduate||ICPSR Undergraduate Entry and Publication Release (Word 30K)||undergradpaper-at-icpsr.umich.edu|
|ICPSR Research Paper Competition – Master’s||ICPSR Master’s Entry and Publication Release (Word 30K)||gradpaper-at-icpsr.umich.edu|
Note:The email must copy the faculty advisor or mentor listed on the application form and any coauthors listed on page 4 of the application form.
Please complete all information and save the files (entry form and the research paper) using the appropriate file-naming format from among the following:
ICPSR Undergraduate Competition – LAST NAME
ICPSR Master’s Competition – LAST NAME
Use the name of only the contest category (ICPSR Undergraduate, ICSPR Master’s) you are entering. Follow this naming format for the entry and paper file names, and the email subject line.
The content of the email also must include:
Faculty Advisor or Mentor:
Title of Paper:
Competition Category Entered: (ICPSR Undergraduate, ICPSR Masters)
Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2017.